Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wai Fun's Apple Crumble

My friend June (Wai Fun) made this for us during my recent visit to Melbourne. It was the best apple crumble I ever had. The apples were still mildly crunchy, ie not mashy soft, and it had a lovely rose fragrant, but there was actually no rose syrup, just the lovely scent from the Pink Lady apples. The crumble was crunchy and yummy. And it sounded real simple to make!

For 1 pyrex square bakingdish of roughly 25cm x 18cm:-
60g cold butter)
1/2 cup flour   ) for the crumble
1/2 cup sugar  )
6 small granny smith green apples
2 large pink lady apples
2 tbsp cinnamon
Sugar to taste, maybe 3-4 tbsp.
Additional 10g of butter. Chopped to bits.
Optional: Shortcrust pastry for base, if you want a pastry base

Preheat oven to 180 deg

Cut apples into bite size squares roughly 2cmx2cm.
Put apples into baking dish and toss with sugar and cinnamon
Cut the cold butter up into bits. Mix it using fingers, with flour and sugar, till breadcrumb texture for the crumble. (Can also use a food processor).
Note: Do not heat the butter to melt it. It would change the texture of the crumble!
Sprinkle crumble mix on top of the apples.
Sprinkle additional butter bits all over top of crumble.

Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or till golden brown.

Optional - Tuck shortcrust pastry at the bottom of the dish before adding apples, if you desire a base.

Serve with vanilla icecream or like me, I love it just on its own!

P/S I recently tried it with Williams pears and Granny Smith apples, I didnt like the combination as the pears turn mushy soft after baking. I will stick to Wai Fun's apple combination the next time, or as she suggested to me, we can use Fuji as substitutes for the Pink Lady.

Bon Appetite!

No comments: