Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Craig's Spanish Harissa

Today me and Andrew visited Craig's Cheese Shop, which is our favourite cafe and cheese shop (near our house). It serves the best pie in Sydney! Today we had the best sri lankan curry chicken pie I have ever eaten. It tasted like authentic curry, no wonder, as the Chef Craig, his grandmother is Sri Lankan. After the yummy pie, Craig let me taste his beautiful harissa and kindly provided me with the ingredients. When I tried it, I couldnt help imagining it going really well with hot roast chicken or any meat, or as a stew sauce. And for an added twist, add some lemon juice or maybe even some chopped fresh mint.

3 tsp heated caraway
3 tsp cumin
4 cloves garlic
100g pepper (the big red ones, that looks like giant chillies).
2 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika

Just toast/grill the pepper, remove chargrilled/burnt skin. Alternatively, used the chillies preserved in vinegar sold at deli etc. Blend all the ingredients together, and that is all to it!

Bon Appetite!

No comments: