Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tuna beans spanish onion n sultanas on turkish toast

As I am writing to this, I am listening to Michael Nyman, "The heart ask for pleasure first". How apt. It has been such a pleasurable sunny cool Sunday afternoon, and I just had a lovely turkish toast with soothing music, and now sipping my cup of hot green tea.

This morning as I woke up and lazying in bed, I thought we will have tuna beans for lunch, but what will complement it well? After trying a bunch of different ingredients on my imaginary palate, I finally decided on this mix:

Turkish bread
500g Sole Marie tuna and beans
1 finely chopped spanish red onion
2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
Handful of of sultanas
5-6 basil leaves, chopped
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt n pepper

To me, turkish bread is absolutely fabulous for toasts with olive oil. Its crunchy soft and light.

On a small non-stick pan, lightly caramelise the onions with sultanas for about a minute with a dash of olive oil, a crack of salt and a touch of balsamic vinegar. Dont overcook. We want the onion to remain crunchy(I dont like raw onions but if you like them raw, go for it). Put aside.
Drain the oil off the can of tuna and beans.
On a bowl, toss the tuna, beans and chopped basil with olive oil ( I much prefer olive oil. It is fresher and healthier than the oil that comes with the tuna).
Half the turkish bread
"Butter" the halved turkish bread with chopped garlic
Grill the bread on a preheated toasted oven, just enough to warm the bread and release the flavour from the garlic.
When done, drizzle olive oil onto turkish bread. Then add the tuna mix, followed by the sauteed onions.
Crackle some pepper.

The crunchy onions and sweetness of the sultanas adds texture and taste to the tuna. And the fresh basil adds a nice refreshing "zing". I think parsley would have complemented these ingredients better , but I didnt have parsley at home today.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Food looks yummy .... not good to look at this on empty stomach : )